A lordship of Mordington, held by the family of that name, is referred to in charters dating from the time of Patrick, 5th Earl of Dunbar (1152-1232). The original charter of erection of the feudal or territorial Barony of Mordington, Berwickshire (which is now a personal title as a consequence of the Abolition of Feudal Tenures etc. Scotland Act 2000), is lost at a date before 1312 to 1329, in which period the Barony was resigned by Sir Henry de Haliburton (a signatory of the Ragman Roll of 1296 as 'tenaunt le Roi du counte de Berewyk') and his spouse Agnes de Morthingtoun (the heiress) to King Robert the Bruce for a re-grant to Thomas Randolph, 1st Earl of Moray, who commanded the left wing at the Battle of Bannockburn (1314) and was Regent of Scotland from 1329.
It seems likely that the barony was granted to Thomas Randolph after he and Sir James Douglas ('the good Sir James') re-captured Berwick-upon-Tweed for Scotland in 1318. In 1335, on the death of John Randolph, 3rd Earl of Moray (who commanded the first Scottish division at the battle of Halidon Hill, above Mordington parish, in 1333), the Barony passed to an heiress. The current feudal baron of Mordington is Graham Senior-Milne, Esq., an armiger and former proprietor of Edrington House in Mordington parish. Mordington remains to this day an agricultural parish. Historically it was entirely possessed by three estates: Edrington, and Over and Nether Mordington.
read more >>>